Mexborough & Swinton Times, August 11, 1939
Miss Clara Smith, only daughter of Mr and Mrs. Arthur Smith, of 14, West Avenue Bolton-on-Dearne, was married at St. Andrew’s Church, Bolton, on Saturday to Mr. Eric Hardy, youngest son of Mrs. Hardy and the late Mr. Walter Hardy, of 47, William Street. Swinton.
The Rev. D. C. Sparks officiated.
The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a white taffeta gown, and a veil and wreath of lorange blossom. She carried red roses. Her bridesmaids were Mrs. Edith Justice, and Misses Gwen Baker and Sheila Caffrey.
The two elder bridesmaids were dressed in floral silk with pink sashes and gloves and hats trimmed with sweet peas. The small maid was attired in a pink silk dress with a lace Dutch cap The bridegroom’s gifts to the bridesmaids were necklaces. The best man was Mr. Ernest Senior and the groomsman Mr. Clifford Hardy. The bride’s mother attended the ceremony in a blue figured silk dress with hat and shoes to tone.
A reception was held by the bride’s parents at 14. West Avenue. Bolton, after which the couple departed for their honeymoon, which is to be spent in Derbyshire, the bride travelling in a blue edge to edge coat with hat and shoes to tone.
The wedding gifts included a loom chair and linen basket from the staff of L. W. Parsons. Ltd., Bolton-on- Dearne, by whom the bride had been employed for the past nine and a half years.