Mexborough and Swinton Times December 2, 1938
Rev. T. B. Almond’s New Post
Bolton to Rotherham
Bolton-on-Dearne parishioners heard with regret an announcement by the Rev. T. B. Almond from the pulpit on Sunday night, in which the Vicar said that he would shortly he leaving the parish.
Mr. Almond has been offered by the Lord Chancellor and has accepted the benefice of St. Michael’s and All Angels’ Church, Northfield, Rotherham, and he will be leaving the Church towards the end of January.
Since Mr. Almond accepted the incumbency of St. Andrew’s, Bolton, 13 years ago, numerous and extensive developments have been carried out in the church itself and in the churchyard. A few years after Mr. Almond’s arrival the roof of the chancel which had been in a dangerous condition, had been reconstructed; the chancel itself was considerably enlarged, the organ and the pulpit being moved from it. During these alterations, in 1933, the magnificent proscenium was discovered, revealing the site of an ‘ancient altar to Our Lady, and so was the Saxon window high on the South wall.
While this work was in progress, the Vicar himself did a large amount of manual work such as plastering and painting.
When the restoration of the interior of the church was completed the Church Council, with assistance from the Urban Council made similarly extensive improvements in the church grounds. At the same time the churchyard was extended, when what had formerly been a playground was taken in, a boundary wall and fencing being erected by the old Constable’s Land Trust.