Home History Scrapbook of 1946 Flicking Back Pages of Last Year’s Diary

Scrapbook of 1946 Flicking Back Pages of Last Year’s Diary

January 1947

South Yorkshire Times January 4, 1947

Scrapbook of 1946 Flicking Back Pages of Last Year’s Diary

1946 was the first full reconstruction year of peace and a remarkably full one in South Yorkshire stop it was a year of new light industry. Factories came to many districts, absorbing female labour; others are promised. It was the year of squatters. Delia came real schedule improvement; there was a Victory Day celebrations in London in June and festivities throughout the country.

There was bread rationing in June and local elections which confirmed the swing to the left.

There was a further amalgamation project, designed to merge Mexborough, Conisbrough, all Denaby and Ardwick on Dearne.

And in industry, the National Coal Board assumed office.


Conisbrough Council decided to buy Conisbrough Castle from Lord Yarborough for £25.


It was announced that the late Mrs Beatrice MR Harrop had left £850 to Swinton parish church.

Mexborough Montague hospital recommended an increase (subsequently approved) of from 4d to 6d a week in subscriptions.

A conference at Wath on amalgamation was adjourned to June and subsequently sine die.

Mexborough scheme for a £30,000 community centre was launched.


Work on the erection of prefabricated houses began at Swinton.

Wath Council accepted a scheme for softening the town’s water and electrification of the steam pumping plant at a cost of £23,000.

Old Denaby Parish Council decided on a joint move with Mexborough UDC for a bridge across the Don.

It was announced that no precept will be levied for the first time since 1929 by the Swinton and Mexborough Gas Board.

The death was announced at the age of 83 of Mr J Ledger Hawksworth, of Bolton upon Dearne.


Mexborough Montagu Hospital Board, whilst welcoming proposals for a comprehensive health service, agreed to support the efforts of the B.H.A.to amend the provisions of the Bill to retain and promote local interest and to preserve local autonomy.


Conisbrough U.D.C.decided to lodge a protest against Doncaster Corporation’s “greater Doncaster” scheme.

Mexborough invited Conisbrough, Swinton, Ardwick on Dearne and Old Denaby to merger talks.


A Ministry of health enquiry was held at Darfield to consider an application by the Dearne Valley Water board for permission to raise a loan for £35,000 to pay for proposed new works.


The National Coal Board assumed office.


Announcement of a £6000 sports field planned by Mexborough L.N.E.R. Athletic club at Swinton.

Wath, West Melton, Brampton and Newhill hospital Movement, who had raised just over £1600 in a year, presented the money to the Montagu hospital.

Fullerton Agricultural and horticultural Society (Denaby) held its first show.

The National Coal Board appointed Prof Douglas Hay, Chief Mining Engineer to the Board.


The first pair of 60 council houses on the Copeland Road site, Wombwell were ready for occupation.

The death occurred on September 25 of Mr W A Lewis of Mexborough, at the age of 85.

Floods swept South Yorkshire.

29 clubs were sought for a “South Riding Cricket League.”


Mexborough Music Festival, first since 1938 with over 2000 entries, was one of the largest in the North.

Mexborough’s first two Council houses built since the war, were let.


A scheme for providing full-time Medical Offices in 31 areas, each of about 50,000 population, was approved by the West Riding County Council.

A £15,800 gas plan for Dearne, to augment normal supply, was announced


Prominent Pit chiefs were retained in the North Eastern Divisional Coal Board first announcement of appointments.

It was announced that South Yorkshire Pits would officially celebrate Vesting day.

The retirement of Mr PB Nicholson, JP, as coke ovens manager at Cortonwood colliery was announced.

Sir Samuel Roberts Bart, chairman of Wombwell Main Colliery Ltd and his co-director said “goodbye” to officials and staff at a dinner.

There was an output commemoration event at Highgate colliery