Mexborough & Swinton Times – Friday 25 August 1939
Relinquishing Public Appointments
Coun. T. Vaughan, 2, Barnburgh Lane, Goldthorpe, who is well known in local Government in South Yorkshire, was chairman of Bolton U.D.C. three times and has been once chairman of Dearne Urban District Council, is to leave the district as he has secured post as contractor at Upton Colliery.
He intends when he leaves to give up his numerous public offices, which include’ chairmanship of the Labour Group on the Dearne Urban Council, chairmanship of the Dearne District Education sub-committee and his position as vice-chairman on the Board of Governors of Wath Grammar School.
In addition he is district representative on the Yorkshire Council for Further Education, a member of the Children’s Road Safety Committee and of the National Service Panel.
A native of Blakeney Hill. Gloucester, where he was born in 1877, he came in 1907 to work at Houghton Main Colliery, where he was employed for eight years. Here he began to take part in Trade Union and Friendly Society matters.
In recognition of his services Mr. Vaughan was presented with a framed emblem by the Sheffield Order of Druids (Pride of Darfield Lodge) on June 30th, 1909.
Married at Darfield
It was during his stay at Darfield that he married Miss E. Firth, at All Saints’ Church.
Mr. Vaughan became a member of Bolton U.D.C. in 1919 and was elected chairman in 1925, and has served in that office three times since, and has also been chairman of Dearne U.D.C.
He has served on all committees connected with the former authority, and has taken a lively interest in public affairs. Mr. Vaughan will leave Goldthorpe as soon as he can get a house in the Upton area.