Home Crime Crime Other Porter Fined – Woman Molested in a Train.

Porter Fined – Woman Molested in a Train.

June 1929

Mexborough and Swinton Times June 21, 1929

Wath Porter Fined.

Woman Molested in a Train.

For having assaulted Mrs. Sarah J Hibbard (38) wife of Charles Hibbard, of Peacock Road, Tinsley Park, Sheffield, on April 29th, Harry Turner, 21, of Bolton-on-Dearne a porter at Wath L.M.S. Station, whose home is at Talbot Street, Normanton, was fined £5 at Rotherham, on Monday; and for having interfered with the comfort of a passenger he was fined £1 and ordered to pay El. costs.

Mr. Arnold J. Turner, of Birmingham, the Company’s solicitor, appeared for the prosecution, and Mr. Donald Dunn, appeared for the defendant:

Mr. Turner said Mrs, Hibbard was travelling from Halifax to Sheffield, and the defendant got into the same compartment at Normanton. Two other passengers got out at Wath, leaving the defendant and Mrs Hibbard alone. Defendant should have got out at Wath but did not do so, and it was when the train was travelling between Wath and Swinton that the alleged offence took place.

When seen by a railway detective, Turner said he had done it under provocation, evidently meaning_ that the complaint “had egged him on.”

Mrs. Hibbard said she heard the defendant say to a lady in the compartment, whom he evidently knew, that he was going to get out at Wath. He did not do so. When the train was travelling between Wath and Swinton he put his arm round her and kissed her four times. When she told him she as married with five children, he desisted. On arrival at Swinton she made a complaint Le the guard. Defendant left the station hurriedly.

Detective-sergeant Painter, railway detective, said he interviewed defendant on May 2nd, when he made a signed statement admitting the assault. Defendant denied that he had kissed Mrs. Hibbard.

After a short conversation with the defendant, Mr. Donald Dunn said that under the circumstances he would change his plea from “not guilty” to “guilty.” He asked for leniency on account of the youth of defendant, and because he would lose his work most likely, if a fine were imposed. He had been employed for 4 ½  years as a porter at Wath, and his father, who lived at Normanton had served the company for 38 years.

He (Mr. Dunn) suggested that the defendant did not realise that he had acted most indiscreetly and foolishly. Mrs. Hibbard was a woman with a perfectly good character.

Mr. J. S Colton-Fox (chairman of the Bench), said it was a most serious assault. It was on account of the defendant’s age, and his previous good character that he had not been sent to prison.