Home Places Streets and Communities Diary of Local History in 1929 – Quarter 3 – July to September

Diary of Local History in 1929 – Quarter 3 – July to September

January 1930

Mexborough & Swinton Times – Friday 03 January 1930

Local History in 1929.

A Diary of Outstanding Events – the Year Reviewed.

Diary of the Yar.


6- West Riding Constabulary Sports at Swinton.

13 – Presentation of Wesleyan Sunday School Unions long service diploma to Mr John Carr, of Hemingfield, at a gathering to celebrate his jubilee

15 – Opening of the Swinton Picture House

18 – Wath athletic club’s annual fête

19 – Wages dispute at Thrybergh Hall colliery caused lightning strike

21 – Level crossing at Wath stains clothes for the day to road traffic – which was diverted through the members Main Colliery yard – for the repair of the line

24 – Wedding of Mr John Baker, son of Mr G Baker, OBE and Mrs Baker of Swinton to Miss Doris E Coates, daughter of Mr and Mrs GM Coates of Wath on Dearne

27 – Albert Mapes (20), of West Melton killed in a motorcycle collision in Brampton Road, West Melton

First annual demonstration of the Wath District Boys Brigade held in Newhill Park

30—Marriage of Miss A. M. Lee daughter of Dr. and Mrs. J. A. R. Lee, of Mexborough, to Mr. C. J. Cramp, of Mexborough.


5 – Kilnhurst Pottery, last surviving pottery in South Yorkshire, closed down

6- Bolton Urban Council authorised their Clerk, Mr. J. L. Hawksworth, to re-open the Ministry of Health the question of relief from financial burdens on local authorities in mining areas caused by arrears of rent and rates in 1926.

7-Collapse of coping and brickwork over three shops in High Street, Mexborough, caused injuries to two children

John Charles Orgill, aged five, knocked down and killed by a motor bus at Goldthorpe

8 – Garden fêtes in aid of St George’s Mission, Jump

Herbert Clifton, of Swinton, rent collector to the Swinton UDC, found with his throat cut in a London hotel and taken to hospital.

10 – Presentation by the members of the South Yorkshire Wesleyan Coalfields Mission to Pastor P Smyth, of Denaby, on transfer to Aylesbury

15 – Fire in the fat refining works of Messrs Braim and Cooper, Conisborough

Wombwell Old Folks Treat

20 – Thurnscoe Urban Council received a notification from the LMS Railway company and the company’s intention to consider the establishment of a railway station at Thurnscoe.

23 – Mr HM Goodinson, of Kilnhurst, appointed public assistance officer for the Borough of Rotherham

25 – Wath Garden Society Show

30 – presentation by the staff, scholars, managers and parents of the Brampton Bierlow National School to Mr H.A. Swiss on his retirement after 20 years as headmaster of the school.

31 – school swimming gala at the Denaby baths won by Saint Alban’s Roman Catholic school Denaby for the third year in succession.


1—Monthly meeting of National Clarion Cyclists’ Club (Yorkshire Union) held as Goldthorpe.

1—New Wesleyan ministers in the Wath circuit, the Rev. R. W. Wade (Wath) and the Rev. E. Penns (Hoyland) officially welcomed.

5—Houghtan Main miners decided by a large majority in favour of pit head baths.

15 – Mission Church of St. Andrew, Conanby, dedicated by the Bishop of Sheffield.

18—Dearne Valley Water Board received an Intimation from the Sheffield corporation of the Corporation’s intention not to renew their agreement to emit water to the Potter Hill reservoirs at Hoyland.

19- Marriage of the Rev. S. Avill, missionary of Trinidad, formerly of Darfield to Miss W. E. Clarke, of Delph, ° Oldham

21—Mr. Tom Williams, M.P., opened new Miners.’ Welfare playground, provided at a cost of £2000 on Conisborough Crags

Fire at screening Plants at Manvers Main colliery

26—Dedication of new organ at the Swinton Wesleyan Church.

28—Swinton branch of the St. John Ambulance Association celebrated its coming of age by a dinner, at which Dr. Freida Harvey (now of London), a founder of the branch, was the chief guest.

30—Bazaar in aid of St. George’s Church. Jump.